Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Lincoln Adventure

About five years ago, my Mom was watching the Martha Stewart show.  Martha was at Abraham  Lincoln's Cottage in Washington DC.   Martha and an Arborist were discussing the trees on the property.   Ever since watching that show, my Mom has been on a mission to see this cottage in person.  On her next trip to the area to visit us; Dave, Mom, and I drove around DC trying to find it.   We felt we were getting close, but the only problem was that it was on the property of the Armed Forces Retirement Home, so no uninvited guests were allowed to go on the property.   So we left DC with our mission incomplete.  (At the time, the National Trust for Historic Preservation was in the process of restoring the cottage to reflect how it probably would have appeared in Lincoln's time. Until they were finished, it was not open to the public.) 

Every time my Mom came to visit, she asked about it.  A couple weeks before her last visit (without the friendly reminder from my Mom to look it up), I looked it up myself and found out that it had finally opened to the public.  I realized you needed to buy tickets.  So right then and there, I bought two tickets for a Monday morning 10am tour of the building.   I tried to keep it a surprise until she arrived, but I couldn't.  I told her before she came.  She was so excited.

On Monday, Sept 17th, we drove into DC and took the tour.  The excitement on my Mom's face was beyond wonderful.  I am so glad that we were finally able to go. So now this mission is finally complete.  It was great to accomplish it with my Mom.

 
 Can you believe that Abraham Lincoln was this tall? This looks more like a large house than a cottage to me.

No comments: